I appear to have two Zimmermann ancestral lines, since both Jacob Jourdan and Johann Peter Kissel had spouses with the maiden name of Zimmermann. The problem comes in determining where (or whether) the two lines ultimately connect.
Here’s what I think I know about my ZIMMERMANN line through Margarete Zimmermann:
1. Dean Richardson
2. David Richardson (1935-1998)
3. Margaret Jourdan / Jordan, born 01 June 1903 in Erie, Erie County, PA; died 25 January 1982 in Erie, Erie County, PA
4. Friedrich Jourdan, born 08 February 1864 in Walldorf, Starkenburg, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany; died 03 May 1951 in Erie, Erie County, PA
5. Margarete Zimmermann, born 25 November 1837 in Walldorf, Starkenburg, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany; died 31 August 1806, also in Walldorf.
6. Wilhelm Zimmermann, born 08 December 1796 in Walldorf; died 10 January 1841, also in Walldorf.
7. Louis Henrich Zimmermann, born 28 April 1760 in Walldorf; died 10 November 1817, also in Walldorf.
8. Jean Zimmermann, birthdate unknown; died 01 August 1759 in Walldorf. The time between his death date and Louis’ birthdate is a bit suspect, but we’ll go with it for now.
My source for #5-#8 is “Das Walldorfer Familienbuch, 1699-1875″ by Wilhelm Klink and Jean Becker, published in 1974 by the “Working group for Walldorf history and genealogy” and the city of Walldorf.
Here are the basics on my ZIMMERMANN line through Elizabeth Zimmermann. Margaret Jourdan’s mother and Friedrich Jourdan’s wife was Amelia Kissel:
4. Amelia Kissel / Kissell, born 28 Aug 1867 in Theresa, Jefferson County, NY; died 09 Sep 1929 in Erie, Erie County, PA.
5. Elizabeth Zimmermann, born 01 December 1832 in Walldorf; died 28 March 1897 in Theresa, Jefferson County, NY.
I have several (contradictory) sources for Elizabeth Zimmermann. The first is her death certificate. It specifically gives her birthplace as Walldorf and states that she died 28 March 1897 at age 64 years, 3 months, 27 days, implying the 01 December 1832 birthdate. Additionally, Church records for the Redwood German Church in Redwood, Jefferson County, NY indicate that Elizabeth was born 19 December 1833 in “Waldrof, Germany.” Elizabeth’s tombstone, found in Oakwood Cemetery in Theresa, Jefferson County, NY, also gives her birth year as 1833.
However, the closest the Walldorfer Familienbuch comes to mentioning an Elizabeth born around 1832/1833 is Elizabeth Katharina Zimmermann, born 14 November 1831. Elizabeth Katharina is the sister of Margarethe Zimmermann, listed above as Friederich Jourdan’s mother. If that connection proved accurate, it would mean that Friederich Jourdan married his cousin Amelia Kissel. But I’m a long way from ready to conclude any such thing. If you have any insights to offer, I’d love to hear them.