Genlighten is hiring! Here’s my draft of the position announcement for employee #1:
Frontend UI/UX Designer/ Ruby on Rails Developer for Our Bootstrapped Genealogy Startup
Genlighten.com is about to make the leap. We’re preparing to turn our online genealogy document marketplace from a side project to a full-on startup – and we need your help to make it happen!
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has built simple, functional web applications that are fun to use and generate revenue
- Can create “design that’s friendly, warm, and inviting, yet elegant, modern, and fresh… design that feels good” – i.e., design that’s a cross between the UI of 37Signals and the UX of Etsy.com
- Is eager to ride the startup roller coaster, with all the intensity and exhilaration that involves
- Shares our passion for family history – and is excited to help our users find historical documents that will connect them with their ancestors.
If you recognize yourself in that list, we’re serious about getting to know you and your capabilities.
Here are some fast facts about Genlighten:
- Right now we’re a team of three: Cynthia’s the genealogy research expert; Dean’s the “product guy” and CEO; Justin handles frontend integration & backend development in Ruby on Rails and MySQL. To this point we’ve relied on a high-quality design firm for our look and feel. You’ll complete our team by bringing that capability fully in-house.
- We’ve been in public beta for about 3 months. We’ve learned a lot from our customers during that time, and their feedback will help guide a significant redesign of the site over the summer. You’ll spearhead that redesign and help implement some exciting new features under development.
- So far we’ve signed up about 900 research clients and 100 “lookup providers” (genealogy document retrieval and digitization specialists) across the US, Canada and Europe. There are sellers selling and buyers buying in our two-sided genealogy marketplace.
- For a quick intro to our site, check out our presentations at www.slideshare.net/genlighten
- We were recently named one of the five finalists at midVentures25 here in Chicago.
About the position:
Bringing a first employee/quasi-co-founder on board is a big deal, so we’ll take it in stages. We’ll start by offering you a small contract project to tackle. If it’s obvious that we’re a good match for each other, we’ll ask you to work for us on a full-time basis for the summer. Come fall, if customers (and investors) show us they like what you’ve done, we’ll invite you to join our team long-term, which will include a non-trivial grant of founders’ equity.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you!
Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. No need for a resume… just send us a link to your portfolio, your blog, your Flickr stream, your LinkedIn profile… whatever will get us excited about working with you. We’d also encourage you to explore our site and tell us how you’d improve it. Thanks!